Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mother's Day Dinner

This year, instead of going to a restaurant, I cooked dinner for my mom. For the main course, I made hawaiian snapper with an orange sauce. I served it over farro and black rice with pea shoots and green garlic. The recipe is from Sunday Suppers at Lucques. For most of the fish recipes in this book, the fish is seasoned with lemon/orange zest, thyme and parsley for at least 4 hours ahead of time. I think this technique adds a lot of flavor to the fish.

On the side, I served some baby artichokes that I caramelized in a little butter. For dessert, I made a pear and rhubarb cobbler. I used the recipe from Dorie Greenspan's baking cookbook. Her recipe calls for cherries and rhubarb. I originally planned to use cherries, but then we received a gift of pears from Harry and David, so I went with those instead. The biscuit topping is unique because it uses half whole wheat flour for a little bit different flavor and texture. I sprinkled coarse sugar over the top of the cobbler and served it with vanilla ice cream.


No comments: