Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cheese souffle

On the season premiere of Top Chef, there was quite a bit of discussion about souffles. It then that I realized I have never made a souffle before. I corrected that with a cheese souffle from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. It was actually quite simple. Shredded cheese, egg yolks and seasonings are added to a bechamel sauce to make the base for the souffle. The base is lightened by folding in whipped egg whites. I used pecorino romano and sharp cheddar cheese, which added a lot of flavor. The only tricky part about this dish is the timing - it needs to be served immediately after coming out of the oven, so plan accordingly. Given that the ingredients for this souffle are items that I typically have around the house, this will definitely be a repeat recipe.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Beautiful souffle! I haven't attempted one for fear of it flopping. But you have given me courage to try it. Thanks! I recently found your site and love it. I also love to cook, but with five children have not time to really blog about it much. Do you cook for a family or just for yourself?