Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Porter ale braised short ribs with maple rosemary glaze

This recipe is from All About Braising by Molly Stevens. I just got a brand new Le Creuset pot specifically for the purpose of braising, and I've been waiting for the weather to cool down a little before I started back up again with this cookbook. These short ribs were fantastic. I browned them in the pot and then sauteed some carrot and onion in a small amount of the fat rendered from the ribs. The ribs went back into the pot with some vegetables and rosemary, and porter ale and chicken stock were added. I put the pot in the oven at 285 degrees and braised the ribs for about 3 and a half hours, turning the ribs every 45 minutes. The braising liquid is skimmed down and reduced to make a sauce. Right before serving, the ribs are glazed with maple syrup that's been infused with rosemary sprigs and horseradish. The ribs are then broiled for a few minutes to get a nice shiny top. This dish had tons of flavor, and the meat was "fall-off-the-bone" tender. I served the ribs with mashed potatoes and broccoli. Pure comfort food at its best!

No comments: