Friday, March 9, 2007

Orange glazed carrots

These carrots are really delicious. I was trying to use up the odds and ends in my vegetable drawer so that I can restock tomorrow. I saw a recipe for glazed carrots in Barefoot Contessa at Home, and adapted the recipe to my taste. Here's what I came up with.

Orange glazed carrots
Serves 2

3 cups of carrot slices cut on the diagonal, about 1/2 inch thick
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup water
pinch of kosher salt or grey sea salt
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
juice from 1/2 of an orange
pinch of fleur de sel for finishing

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the water, honey and pinch of kosher/grey salt. Bring to a boil. Add the carrots, cover and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and cook the carrots until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the orange zest and orange juice, cook over medium heat until carrots are tender and juice has formed a glaze. Remove from heat, finish with fleur de sel.

No comments: