Friday, November 9, 2007

Beer and cheddar bread

I will admit, I don't really like beer. However, I don't mind it in cooked dishes. I bought some beer for a recipe, which of course only used one bottle. The other five bottles sat in our fridge for a little while until I could figure out what to do with them. Then, I came across this beer bread recipe. Problem solved! I leave out the onions and substitute cheddar for the fontina cheese in the recipe. The bread comes out with a crispy chewy crust and an airy interior. Best of all, it's a quick bread, so you don't have to wait for dough to rise. I used up the rest of the beer by making one of these breads each week. Last time we were at the store, my husband picked up another six pack solely for the purpose of making this bread! I think that's pretty telling, don't you?

No comments: