Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Pizza with bacon, oyster mushrooms and piquillo peppers

For this pizza, I started with pizza dough from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. I made my own sauce by putting a can of San Marzano tomatoes in the blender with some salt and pepper. I reduced the tomato puree for about 20 minutes until it had a saucy consistency. I spread the sauce over the dough and topped it with shredded mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano cheeses. Next, I rendered some applewood smoked bacon in a pan. When the bacon was browned and crisp, I drained off all the fat except for about 1 teaspoon and added in the oyster mushrooms. The bacon and mushroom mixture went on top of the cheese with some piquillo peppers. I baked the pizza on a stone at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, and topped it with chopped parsley.

No comments: