Friday, April 13, 2007

Everyday Food - hot and sour soup

I love hot and sour soup. I always insist on ordering it whenever I go to a chinese restaurant. When I saw this recipe in the Everyday Food cookbook, I decided it was time to learn to make it myself. It was actually really easy! Chicken broth is seasoned with soy sauce and red pepper flakes. The sour flavor comes from rice vinegar which is mixed with cornstarch to create a thicker soup. The recipe calls for thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms and tofu - I added in a can of shredded bamboo shoots. An egg is lightly beaten and poured through a slotted spoon into the soup to create threads. I finished this off with a splash of sesame oil and sliced green onions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your trick with the slotted spoon and the egg. I always wondered how the delicate strands of egg were placed in the soup. Now I know. I'm sure that stirring in the egg strands is a lot of fun too!