Saturday, August 4, 2007

Fresh black eyed peas

I saw these pods of fresh black eyed peas at Berkeley Bowl yesterday, and I couldn't resist buying them:

I shucked them while watching Sex and the City; a half pound yielded a little over a cup of peas:

As you can see, they came out of the pods green. I tried one raw to see what it was like - it was tender with a grassy flavor.

To serve them, I decided to blanch them in salted water for about 90 seconds. Next, I sauteed one finely minced shallot in a little bit of olive oil. I added a handful of frozen white corn kernels to the pan and sauteed them until they were thawed. I added the cooked peas back to the pan and finished the dish with salt and pepper, quartered cherry tomatoes, chives and a squeeze of lime juice.

This was really delicious, the flavors worked well together. The lime juice gave it a bit of a kick. I prefer these fresh black eyed peas to the frozen ones that I normally buy.

1 comment:

  1. Sara,
    Looks delicious! Do you know that black eyed peas are a New Years Day tradition in the south, where my Mom comes from? The added touches you used make them look mouth watering.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! If you leave a question, be sure to check back later for my answer.