Sunday, September 28, 2008

A weekend at the beach

We took a road trip this weekend down the central California coastline and visited Monterey, San Luis Obispo, San Simeon and Pismo beach.

There was beautiful scenery...

cute elephant seals...

and of course great seafood!

We got this bucket full of local rock crab, alaskan bairdi crab, gulf shrimp, corn, potatoes and cajun sausage from the Cracked Crab in Pismo Beach. The seafood is served dumped atop your table with clarified butter, cocktail sauce, mustard sauce and sourdough bread. Everything was great, how can fresh seafood be anything but delicious?!

11 comments:

Shandy said...

Your trip to the beach looks so beautiful! So does the seafood, Yum. I always love your pictures.

My torch received its first use on these little brulees. After using it, I have no idea why the little torch wasn't tried earlier. It is fun, isn't it?

Helene said...

Just to seal seals would make the trip worth it :)
That seafood plate is making me hungry!!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love California. Can't wait to go back. Beautiful pics.

Jenny said...

That looks like such a lovely spread.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

We did the same drive this summer when I went to SF for the BlogHer conference. Took at least 50 photos of the seal cove.

Erin said...

I'm so jealous of anyone who lives on the West coast. I at least have family all over the LA area, so I do get to visit sometimes, but it is not the same as living there. What a great little weekend trip! Fresh seafood is the best.

alexandra's kitchen said...

i made this roadtrip earlier this summer with my husband. so beautiful! and yes, there is nothing like fresh seafood!

Karin W. said...

Nothing beats fresh seafood. However, I don't live in a coastal community. So, fresh seafood means all the luxury nature can provide to me.

Katherine said...

Sounds AMAZING. Wow, to be able to get seafood like that. You're so lucky!!

Jaime said...

awww those seals are so cute! i miss CA....

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

OMG that food looks so yummy and fresh!