Saturday, August 30, 2008

Chayote succotash

Chayote squash can be a little hard to come by - they have them in my local produce market and asian grocery store, but many mainstream retailers don't carry them. They're about the size and shape of a large avocado, and they taste similar to zucchini, with a watery texture. My husband likes chayote because he grew up eating it. They're a little bland for my tastes, but I try to indulge him with a chayote recipe every now and then. When I saw this recipe for chayote succotash in Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill cookbook, I knew it would be a good one to try. Whole chayotes are roasted in the oven until soft, and then split in half. The insides are scooped out and finely chopped. The chayote is sauteed with red onion, red pepper, corn, zucchini and lima beans, and seasoned with butter, lime and cilantro. The chayote shells are filled with the succotash mixture for a nice presentation.

I thought this was a good vegetable side dish, with fresh, bright flavors. If you come across chayotes in your market, give this recipe a try!

No comments: