Sunday, April 8, 2007

Strawberry almond macaroon galette

This recipe came from the current issue of Martha Stewart Living. I love almond macaroons, so I automatically cut out the recipe without really looking at the details. Turns out, the recipe calls for baking the galette in an 8 and 3/4 inch cake ring and requires you to prop the oven open for part of the baking time by sticking a wooden spoon in the door. This sounded strange to me (and I didn't have the cake ring), but I decided to try the recipe anyways with the provisions I had on hand. I used a 9 inch springform pan which worked perfectly. And sure enough, the wooden spoon propped the oven door open without causing any damage to the spoon. I already had almond meal in the pantry, so I used that instead of grinding the blanched almonds. I didn't have kirsch to macerate the strawberries in, but I did have amaretto, so I used that. I also added a teaspoon of almond extract to the batter. The galette came out great, I would make it again. I was thinking next time I might arrange an assortment of fruit on the top for variety. If you're an almond macaroon lover, try this cake!

No comments: