Monday, February 5, 2007

Kohlrabi

Produce is really expensive right now - at one of my local grocery stores, produce prices had almost doubled since last week. I bought vegetables that were still reasonably priced, including kohlrabi.


I've never cooked kohlrabi before, and there wasn't a lot of guidance online. I decided to saute it with bacon - what vegetable isn't good with bacon? Sure enough, it came out great. I peeled the bulbs and cut them into matchsticks. I chopped up two slices of thick cut applewood smoked bacon and browned it in a skillet. I drained off most of the fat and added the kohlrabi. I sauteed the kohlrabi for about 5 minutes, until it got tender. I seasoned with salt and pepper and garnished with chopped parsley.

The flavor of the kohlrabi reminded me of broccoli, but with a crunchy texture. It went really nicely with the bacon.

No comments: