Monday, February 19, 2007

French carrots with sherry butter

As usual, I was looking for something interesting in the produce section when I came across what the grocery store calls french carrots.

These carrots are about 3 inches long, and very thick. Peeling them takes a little bit of effort because of their size and shape. I wanted them to cook quickly, so I cut the peeled carrots into quarters. I sauteed the carrots in a little olive oil until they started to brown. I added a few tablespoons of chicken stock, and cooked the carrots until they had absorbed all the stock and were tender. I added a splash of sherry vinegar to the pan, a tablespoon of butter, and topped it all off with fleur de sel and some chopped parsley. These carrots were sweeter than your average supermarket carrot.

No comments: