Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Feeding my prosciutto addiction

I love prosciutto. It's one of those items that is always in my fridge. Prosciutto and shrimp are a particularly good combination.



Prosciutto wrapped shrimp (serves 2)
12 medium to large shrimp (I used 21-25 count per pound)
6 paper thin slices of prosciutto
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon bourbon (optional; use it if you have it around)
Combine teriyaki sauce, maple syrup, chili powder and bourbon (if using) in a bowl. Add shrimp, marinate for about 10-15 minutes. Remove shrimp from marinade and wrap ½ slice of prosciutto around each shrimp (kitchen shears work well for cutting prosciutto). Thread six shrimp onto each skewer (if you don’t want the skewers to burn, soak them in cold water for 30 minutes prior to use). Place skewers under the broiler – broil for 5 to 7 minutes or until shrimp are pink and opaque.

We had white asparagus with the shrimp. I cut off the ends, tossed the spears in a little olive oil and roasted them at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. I sprinkled some smoked sea salt and chives over the top before serving.

No comments: