Sunday, December 17, 2006

Berkeley Food Tour - Produce

As part of our Berkeley food shopping trip, we went to the Monterey Market. This is an incredible produce market. I tend to go out of my way to look for unusual fruits and vegetables, but this place had things that I had never seen before.

Citrus, including buddha's hand and yuzu

Beets in every color

Carrots, radishes and chard

Herbs (I got the last of the kaffir lime leaves)

Here's a sampling of what I bought:

From top, clockwise, cherimoya, quinces, pomegranate, white guavas, blackberries, yuzu, apples (arkansas black, ambrosia, pink lady and winesap)

From left to right, top to bottom, hubbard squash, leeks, fennel, watermelon radish, baby turnips, gold beets, multicolor radishes, romanita tomatoes, trumpet mushrooms, chanterelles

No comments: